nod off

美 [nɑːd ɔːf]英 [nɒd ɒf]
  • (尤指不打算入睡时)打瞌睡,打盹儿
nod offnod off

These words all mean to start to sleep.以上各短语均含开始睡着之义。

to start to sleep, sometimes when you do not intend to or in a situation that is not appropriate指入睡,有时指无意之中或在不适当的场合睡着:

When she finally fell asleep, she began to dream.

她终于睡着了,并开始做梦。

I pinched myself to stop myself from falling asleep.

我掐自己以防自己睡着。

to start to sleep, especially when you intend to指入睡,尤指有意想睡着:

I shut my eyes and tried to go to sleep.

我闭上了眼睛想睡。

He woke for a moment and then went to sleep again.

他醒了一会儿,然后又睡了。

to start sleeping, especially after a long time or when this is difficult指开始入睡,尤指经过很长时间或很难才睡着:

He took a long time getting to sleep that night.

他那天晚上过了好长时间才睡着。

to fall asleep, especially gradually指睡着,尤指渐渐地入睡:

I must have drifted off, because when I woke we were nearly home.

我一定是睡着了,因为我醒来时我们已快到家了。

( informal ) to fall asleep for a short time, especially when you are sitting down and when you are not supposed to be sleeping指睡着了一会儿,尤指坐着或在不该睡觉时打瞌睡:

I was practically nodding off in that meeting.

我在那次会议上差点睡着了。

( BrE informal ) to start sleeping lightly指打盹儿、小睡:

I dropped off and missed the end of the film.

我打了个盹儿,错过了影片的结尾。

nod off

频次

  • 1
    PHRASAL VERB (尤指不打算入睡时)打瞌睡,打盹
    If you nod off, you fall asleep, especially when you had not intended to.

    The judge appeared to nod off yesterday while a witness was being cross-examined...

    昨天一名证人接受盘问时,法官好像在打盹。

verb

1
change from a waking to a sleeping state
he always falls asleep during lectures
Synonym: fall asleep dope off flake out drift off drop off doze off drowse off

数据来源:WordNet

  1. He used to nod off during the French class .

    他以前总是在法语课上打瞌睡。

  2. A chronic lack of sleep may cause far more serious problems than a tendency to nod off the next day , researchers warn .

    科学家警告说,长期睡眠不足可导致的问题也许会比白天老打瞌睡更严重。

  3. The judge appeared to nod off yesterday while a witness was being cross-examined

    昨天一名证人接受盘问时,法官好像在打盹。

  4. Don 't let yon dog nod off .

    不要让那条狗打盹。

  5. But now a study has found it really does help people nod off — if it is milked from a cow at night .

    但现在一项研究发现,在晚上从奶牛身上挤出的奶确实能帮助人们入睡。

  6. This is a meeting , you will probably nod off a little .

    虽然是开会,你们也会打一会儿盹儿吧。

  7. He 's so dull , it makes me nod off .

    他是那么的乏味,让我犯困。

  8. They last sit and chat to each other , or nod off .

    他们就坐在那里相互攀谈,或者打盹。

  9. I was about to nod off when she knocked the door .

    我正要睡着,就在那个时候他敲门了。

  10. I always nod off during his lectures .

    我总是在他演讲时睡着。

  11. When I was about to nod off in the office , the boss walked in .

    我在办公室刚刚欲睡,老板走了进来。

  12. I 'm so tired , I 'm about to nod off !

    我好累啊,我几乎睡着了!

  13. The results found Chinese travellers are most likely to nod off once the seatbelt sign switches off .

    调查结果发现,一旦系紧安全带指示灯熄灭,中国人是最有可能小憩打盹的旅客。

  14. I nod off , I wake up in strange places . I have no idea how I got there .

    我常打盹,醒的时候却在不同的地方,我完全不知道是怎么到那的。

  15. Once they did nod off , they experienced less REM sleep and were thus less alert in the morning .

    一旦他们真的睡着后,他们会经历更少的快速眼动睡眠期并因此在早晨更没精神。

  16. So even if you nod off ( in front of the TV , for example ), you probably wont stay asleep for long .

    所以即使你打盹了(比如在电视机前),你很可能也睡不了多久。

  17. Doesn 't nod off to sleep when I 'm benting ;

    我在兴头上时不要打盹;

  18. By learning from patients who nod off unexpectedly during the day , researchers have pinpointed a chemical that could help people who can 't sleep at night .

    通过对白日发作性睡眠患者的研究,研究人员指出一种化学物质将对夜间失眠患者有帮助。

  19. Junior employees tend to want to stay awake all day and be seen as energetic , and workers on assembly lines can 't just nod off .

    初级职员往往想整天保持清醒,希望被看作充满活力,而生产线上的工人根本没法打盹。

  20. Studies have indicated the scent may help people nod off faster than they normally would , and get them into the REM , or dream state , more quickly .

    研究表明香气能使人们比正常状况下更快地有困意,更快地进入快速眼动或做梦状态。

  21. He became extremely protective of these bunnies , and he stopped sleeping , and he would sort of nod off while trying to take care of them .

    他对兔宝宝有极强的保护欲,他不睡觉了。结果在照顾兔宝宝时坐着打瞌睡。

  22. When people do nod off , 1 / 3 dream about their jobs at least twice a week-with Sunday being the most common night for office imaginings .

    而就算睡着了,也有1/3的人会在一周内至少两次梦到自己的工作,尤其在周日晚上。

  23. Japanese who watched footage of their former finance minister slur his words and appear to nod off at a Group of Seven press conference can now try to keep him awake in a new cell phone game .

    日本前财务大臣在不久前七国集团会议的一个新闻发布会上昏昏欲睡、语无伦次,看过他这段录像的日本人现在可以在一款新的手机游戏中让他保持清醒了。

  24. When you lay your head down and nod off to the feather ball , your body is restoring itself . That includes basic upkeep and repair like muscle growth , tissue maintenance , protein production and the release of growth hormones .

    当你安然平躺,枕着松软的枕头酣然入眠时,你的身体便开始进行自我修复,即一些基本的维护保养,如肌肉的增长、组织的修复、蛋白质的生成及生长激素的释放。

  25. Most of them go to sleep easily and wake up occasionally at night . 72.2 % of them often take a nap after lunch and sleep in good condition . During the daytime , they do not nod off obviously and have a good state of mind .

    老人们大多容易入睡,夜间偶有苏醒现象,72.2%的老人有午休的习惯,总体睡眠状况良好,白天无明显思睡现象,精神状态好。

  26. A couple of teenagers at England 's Manchester Creative Studio have developed a wristband that tracks your pulse - so it can turn on your TiVo box when you nod off , ensuring that you don 't miss the rest of your show .

    英国曼彻斯特创意工作室的几位年轻人发明了一种可追踪你脉搏的手环—这种手环能在你打盹的时候,打开数字录像盒录下电视节目保证你不会错过任何精彩。

  27. There is wedding Betting : you can have a flutter on whether Harry will drop the ring during the service ( 24 / 1 ) , or whether Prince Philip , who is nearly 90 , will nod off during the service ( 8 / 1 ) .

    也有婚礼押注:你可以在以下情况中选择:婚礼上哈利王子会不会丢失戒指(24/1),将近90高龄的菲利普亲王是否会在婚礼上打盹儿(8/1)。

  28. With a brief nod he was off across the road , swinging his camera as he went .

    说完,他点一下头,晃着他的快照镜箱穿过马路去了。